Monday 17 September 2012

Photograms

photograms  

photograms are a type of contact print that are made without a camera, taking photography back to its roots by using light to paint pictures. Using 2D and 3D objects will creating different tones to an image, also using opaque objects will block all light semi-transparent to block some or transparent to create different transparencies. 
Process of making a photogram
To make a photogram you use a dark room and use tape to mark out the size of your photo paper. Then you place your objects onto the paper and expose to light (I used an enlarger in the dark room for 9 seconds) for however long you want. After this develop the print by putting the paper in the developer, stop, fix, and rinse, the time you leave it can be up to you however mine was 1 minute developer, 30 seconds stop, 4 minutes fix and 5 minutes rinse then the paper goes through a dryer.


My first photogram.

I scanned the photogram and edited it on photoshop so that some of the shapes are more visible.

I then added some colour by using tools on photoshop.

Another one of my photograms, this set is my favourite.

On photoshop I reversed the image into a positive.

 I then added more contrast just to make the colour stand out a bit more.

Another photogram, I think that this one is a little bit too cramped with too much stuff.

I reversed the negative into a positive, with this image I should have left it in the developer longer as you can see a line in the right side that is slightly underexposed.

No comments:

Post a Comment